Friday, October 9, 2009

De Blog of Procrastination. Books Mainly.

So basically, I'm procrastinating. And tonight writing a blog is my procrastination tool. Almost everything I own is packed up and ready to be put into the trailer in the morning. I have to get to the kitchen and a few other odds and ends. You never realize how much stuff you have until you have to move. I'm actually getting rid of a huge stack of books. I'm tired of toting them around and I haven't read them since I was in highschool. The majority of them are Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Dean Koontz. I'm pretty much past that point in my life. I still read a few Dean Koontz, and I kept the Dark Tower Series from Stephen King. I plan on reading it one day, I swear. I'm not even remotely interested in Anne Rice anymore, although I did keep three of her books in paperback. For old time's sake.

When it comes to vampire novels, there's two places I go. Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and David Wellington's Vampire novels. Both excellent writers with refreshing ideas and more than enough action to keep me buying each consecutive book. I did read Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga. It was an excellent read, but I still prefer Hamilton's Vampire-Human-Werewolf stories. I feel like Twilight's completely over rated now. I picked up the book when I read an article in TIMES about it. By the time Breaking Dawn came out, I had to buy the book to just know how it ended. At the time I was happy with it. Now it just seems ridiculous (Breaking Dawn). But Meyer totally blew her fan base out of the water. If I was still 16 I would have probably felt just like the rest of the teenage girls. But I'm not. I'm 23, and young adult novels just don't do it for me.

I'm pretty picky about what I read these days. It seems like I've got a long list of books to choose from, but it takes me forever to finally pick a series. Especially if there is more than one book involved. Such as the Anita Blake series. It numbers 17 books with two set to come out next year, a novella, entitled Flirt, and a longer un-named novel. I've known about David Wellington's books for a few years, but never picked them up until a couple weeks ago. I started with the zombie trilogy. He has a vampire series, and a werewolf novel as well. Laurell K. Hamilton also has another series involving a faerie princess-detective. I cannot stand fairy stories, but I can't tear myself away from Hamilton's writing. It's addictive. Merry Gentry, the faerie princess novels, stands at seven with eight due out at the end of this year.

I also search for books involving creatures. Because everyone should know that creature features are among my top rated movies, as well as my top rated books. For this brand of writing I usually have to hit the classics by Peter Benchley, or go to Steve Alten. Alten's MEG series and The Loch are spectacular reads. Sharks and the Loch Ness are my all-time favorite creatures.

I always find books or artists in interesting ways. I bought a Hamilton book years ago in a Goodwill because the cover art looked intriguing. I didn't even realize I was a fan, until I picked up the Guilty Pleasures comic from Marvel. And I was hooked. The comics couldn't come out fast enough. I needed to know the rest of the story. So i started the series.

Same deal with Patricia Briggs, who writes the Mercy Thompson series I am starting shortly. She produced a pre-quel story with Dabel brothers publishing. The artwork drug me in. The story kept me there. Alot of times, I read reviews and find books that way. Sometimes it's because I accidentally clicked on the wrong link. I was looking for plot summaries for 100 Bullets, a comic from vertigo, and accidentally clicked on a link for 13 Bullets, a vampire novel by David Wellington. Poof! A new book. Things like that happen to me all the time. Just random chance I guess. The only book I've ever truly had trouble reading was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I love the story of Pride and Prejudice, but, let me tell you, it can be a boring read. Even with Zombies, sometimes I just wasn't that interested. Shame on me.

So I'm sitting in the floor of my bedroom, which is now empty, save for me, the vacuum cleaner, and a pile of books. Tomorrow I move to Seneca, SC. I'm excited. I like change ever now and then. And I certainly am in need of a change. I've never lived this close to my dad before. I think it will be interesting to see how everything turns out. And I'm not too far from my best friend Sarah, who lives in Georgia. She lived in Hawaii for over five years, and I got to see her very little. It'll be nice to have her this close, even if it still is in a different state.

I suppose I should get back to getting everything downstairs. I still have to wash clothes, throw the kitchen into a box, and clean all the rooms. I was going to load things into the trailer, but I believe that can wait till in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers